Library lock cache

From: jn8852 <enicholas_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Jun 2006 10:56:57 -0700

Hi,

I'm currently performance testing a J2EE application which persists data in an Oracle 10g database. The application is a messaging application receiving around 100 messages per second.

My problem is that after a certain level of load is reached, the following query that saves these messages hangs for long periods of time:

insert into Messages(col1, col2, col3, col4, col5, col6, col7, col8, col9, col10, col11, col12, col13) values (:1, :2, :3, :4, :5, :6, :7, :8, :9, :10, :11, :12, :13).

Looking at the web OEM i see a large amount of query time (up to 20 minutes in some cases!) being allocated against a Library Cache Lock. Once this query has got to this stage I can reproduce the same behaviour under smaller loads.

Searching google I notice various articles saying that bind variables solve this (which i'm using), but can't really find anyother solutions!

I suspect changing the SGA may have some improvement, but i'm not an Oracle expert so not sure exactly what to set it too! The box i'm runing on is a dual core Windows 2003 Server box with 1GB of ram.

What other things could be causing this?

Cheers

Ed Received on Thu Jun 29 2006 - 12:56:57 CDT