Re: 10g Memory Usage: 12 GB RAM & 5000 Connections ~ Need help understanding

From: DragonWoman <dragonwoman_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Jun 2006 10:55:06 -0700

Hi bdbafh,

> 60 MB free memory?
> Its amazing that the OS did not grind to a halt.
>
> I'd recommend to use no more than 75% of physical memory as an upper
> limit.
> How about cutting back to an sga_max_size of 8 GB as a first pass?

Yeah, I got the reading from the "available bytes" counter in Perf Mon.  You caused me to double-check my conversion from bytes to MB, but I did it right. ;)

We started with SGA_MAX=10G because of responses I got here and on other Oracle channels about how much we could give Oracle and still leave the OS happy given the 12G of physical RAM. The general thoughts were 2 - 3 GB for the OS, the rest for Oracle, so that's what I went with.

The idea around here for these tests seems to be to give Oracle as much as you can and get squeeze as many connections out of it, so that's what I was going with. ;) It's a tire kicking project. Everyone's so excited to be free of the 32-bit memory limitations. :)

Thanks for the reply. Received on Wed Jun 28 2006 - 12:55:06 CDT