Re: How to start learning a Ora 9i DatawareHouse.

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 28 Jun 2006 10:38:18 -0700

dbadwh wrote:
> Thanks to all for the prompt responses and suggestions.
>
> Though i'm working as part of scattered dba team where learning level
> seems stagnant until proper track is thr.
> I mean randomly one cannot start tuning if things r going well or chkin
> out how ETL sessions r going on..
>
> I have been through tuning sessions,articles papers n lot on
> metalink.the book "Oracle DBA Guide to Data Warehousing and Star
> Schemas" if rated out of 10 where will it land up..
>
> Sometims i need to look upon the hardware and best suited for the
> business.
>
> I feel that could help you with more insight.
>
> looking for more suggestions.

I would recommend starting with and reading cover to cover several times Tom Kyte's latest book "Expert Oracle Database Architecture". Then Tom Kyte's "Effective Oracle by Design". Then Cary Millsap's "Optimizing Oracle Performance". Then maybe Guy Harrison's "Oracle SQL High Performance Tuning". Maybe Jonathan Lewis's book "Practical Oracle 8i" and then his "Cost Based Oracle Fundamentals".

Only after spending a bunch of time with all this material would I recommend looking into Data Warehouse specific stuff. Received on Wed Jun 28 2006 - 12:38:18 CDT