Re: object # of extents

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 28 Jun 2006 06:34:42 -0700

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> Ben schreef:
> > Running Oracle 9.2.0.5 Ent Ed, DMTs, UNIX AIX5L, compatible parameter =
> > 8.1.0
> >
> > That should raise some concerns of it's own, but on to the question.
> >
> > Is there a certain number of extents for objects that one should start
> > to become worried or concerned? If a table reaches say 1500 extents
> > should I start to think about reorganizing the table? What would be the
> > best method to reorg, exp/imp, alter table move? Can someone point me
> > in the direction of a good guideline on when this should become a
> > concern?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > BA
> >
> On 9i, release 2, you should really get used to locally managed
> tablespaces with auto segment space management.
> In that case, you will probably never even *have* 1500 extents!
>
> And I start worrying at about 4000 (four thousand) extents. And
> even then, I doubt it would be "a concern".
>
> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel
>
> Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

I will disagree on the use of ASSM. Way too many bugs in this feature still on 9.2 plus the feature has fairly high space overhead on small objects in multiple extents. But locally managed tablespaces are the way to go. I prefer uniform extents.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Jun 28 2006 - 08:34:42 CDT