Re: Unique Key Constraint

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: 27 Jun 2006 07:31:42 -0700

Greg wrote:
> The ones who think they know the most like to nitpik. Typically why I
> don't answer in open forums -- you get lots of folks who just can't
> leave well enough alone. Folks have to get their 2 cents in thinking
> they are the "DBA masters" ....
>
> And there is such a thing as a unique key
>
> VOMIT
>

> Ed Prochak wrote:
> > Greg wrote:
> > > 1. A table can only have 1 primary key (which is always unique)
> > > 2. A table can have 1 or more unique index keys but still only 1
> > > primary key.
> > >

> > just a minor terminology nitpik
> >
> > a table can have one Primary key
> > a table can have one of more Foreign Keys
> > a table can have one or more unique Constraints
> >
> > I don't think there is such a thing as a Unique key
> >
> > Ed

Yes, it is an Oracle term as Anurag kindly pointed out. However there is no such thing in the SQL standard at least none that I can find. I must have just finished in comp.databases and was in a generic SQL mindset.
And I did say minor. Does my post reduce your standing in the group?

It is about teaching and learning. It is all about sharing the wealth of knowledge.

Ed Received on Tue Jun 27 2006 - 09:31:42 CDT