Re: Dimension objects

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 05:19:34 GMT

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 13:35:34 -0700, DA Morgan wrote:

> It defines the relationship. Jonathan Lewis covers this in his tuning
> course and his book.

Hmmm, at the time I read the book, I wasn't overly interested in the data warehousing. I'll have to re-read the book. In the meantime, I researched the subject. It is, basically, a method of achieving star schema, sort of smart query rewrite. The whole thing is good for documentation purposes but it is, at least in my opinion, not as good as materialized views. Nonetheless, I find the idea of documenting the database structure through special "documentation objects" rather appealing. Designer probably can use those objects and make really pretty pictures (TM).

--
http://www.mgogala.com