Re: SERVICE_CLASS parameter is SID_DISC in listener.ora

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:54:35 GMT

> Well, your arguments are of course valid, RE is not a science,
> but a scientific tool. This being agreed upon, does Honda
> prohibit disassembling their engines? Don't think so. Copy
> them - yes, that's prohibited, but simply taking them apart to
> see how they work and possibly repair them if they don't work
> as they should or look for potential problems?

I don't think that they prohibit disassembling their engines, but they would have a problem if you used their proprietary *and patented* techniques in your products you are selling.

> Further, if knowledge is gained through research, then how
> software security research differs from any other scientific
> research? And reverse-engineering is an intergal part of
> this research. After all, we are not interested in theoretic
> flaws possible in software. We are interested in specific
> bugs in widely used software which pose real-world problems
> and endangers its users. Applied science, but still science.

I do not disagree with RE being an integral part of research. What I disagreed with was the premise (maybe misinterpreted by me) that RE *is* science.

> That RE applies to one specific product I disagree, too. That it
> can be applied to one specific product doesn't limit its application
> to that specific product only. You can RE any other software
> product using the same systematic approach and tools.
> You can even use certain patterns to detect problematic
> code without reverse-engineering the whole product. Actually,
> definition of such patterns and creation of the tools that
> apply them to detect flaws in software is an academic
> research topic.

It might be splitting hairs, but RE is applied to a specific product. When you RE another product, the RE is totally new for that product. Two RE efforts on two products rarely are the same RE effort.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net