mod_plsql / dad / character set problem

From: Jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:22:49 +0100

Hi folks, we are receiving an XML doc POSTed into a PL/SQL procedure from a 3rd party. They have recently started including the Euro symbol (¤) (not sure if that will have shown in the posting?).

Anyway, this is char(128) in Oracle. No problem storing it in the database, no problem displaying it when retrieved from the database.

However, it is being scrambled somewhere in the mod_plsql stage so that by the time our pl/sql code gets to see it all it can see is ¿ (rotated/inverted question mark).

We can receive and handle other accented characters without any problem. The DAD is defined as follows:

<Location /utf8>

        SetHandler pls_handler
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all
        AllowOverride None
        PlsqlDatabaseUsername <username>
        PlsqlDatabasePassword <password>
        PlsqlDatabaseConnectString prod
        PlsqlAuthenticationMode Basic
        PlsqlNLSLanguage AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8

</Location>

However, if I post the data through url with a DAD defined thus:

<Location /wd/plsql>

        SetHandler pls_handler
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all
        AllowOverride None
        PlsqlDatabaseUsername <username>
        PlsqlDatabasePassword <password>
        PlsqlDatabaseConnectString prod
        PlsqlAuthenticationMode Basic
        PlsqlNLSLanguage AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1

</Location>

the data (Euro sign) is received fine. We set the DAD up as utf8 as we were having the same problem with characters being submitted and scrambled if we used WE8ISO8859P1.

So we feel as though we are caught between a rock and a hard place - cananyone suggest a setting taht might support all our needs (sure I haven't defined ALL out needs! - of course I mean something that supports western european accented characters as well as the Euro symbol)?

We are running Oracle 9iR2 and Oracle HTTP listener and mod_plsql.

--
jeremy

We use Oracle 9iR2 on Solaris 8 with the Oracle HTTP Server and
mod_plsql