Re: how to prevent drop on a specific table

From: Greg <gregcpx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2006 09:09:13 -0700

the owner can drop the table, so if you want to prevent users from being able to drop the table or other tables, here is what I'd do:

  1. Give each user their own userid/password
  2. Don't give any user dba privs
  3. Create a role that only allows, insert, update, delete data (or whatever you think is approperiate) to the table/tables in question
  4. Grant that role to all userids that you want to have access the system
  5. Change the password on the owner so that users can't login with it.

I keep all my users very restricted in what they can do. Only I as the DBA can do any harm to the DB, users are only allowed to view/select, update or delete (if I deem necessary) data. Users are never allowed to create, add, drop tables, indexes, constraints, etc -- that is all done by me only.

-Greg