Re: SERVICE_CLASS parameter is SID_DISC in listener.ora

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 13:59:22 GMT

Vladimir M. Zakharychev wrote:
> Brian Peasland wrote:

>>> Speaking more generally, isn't the whole
>>> point of science to reverse-engineer the universe? Do gods and
>>> deities prohibit reverse-engineering their creations? :)
>> Since when did reverse-engineering proprietary software become
>> "science"? Maybe the OP should try the above arguments at his defense
>> trial....
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Brian
>>

> Define the term "science" then. You seem to be falling into
> the same trap Don Burleson did with "Oracle scientists." :)
> By the way, some call reverse-engineering an art... Irrespective
> of the target. But of course, common sense has nothing to do
> with modern copyright laws and software license agreements.
> Which is not to say that I do not obey the laws I don't like.
> Dura lex, sed lex.
>
> Regards,
> Vladimir M. Zakharychev
> N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
> http://www.dynamicpsp.com

My definition of science can be found here:

http://www.athabascau.ca/html/services/advise/geninfo.htm#science

Typically, the body of work is for one of the accepted sciences....mathematics, biology, chemistry, physics, etc.

One could use the definition of science found on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science

in where in its broadest sense, science is a systematic, repeatable process used to gain knowledge. But even this definition has at its foundation, the understanding that science is gathered through "research" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research) where the results of that research contribute to practical applications through laws and theories.

Reverse engineering (RE) is more taking something apart to see how it works. RE applies to one specific product. Taking a Honda Accord apart to see how it works does not give you immutable facts on how all motor vehicles work. All RE has done in this case (and in the OP's case) is to see how the specific instance of something works. While one could apply scientific methods to their process, how does this contribute to the body of science as a whole? Even if scientists use RE to figure out how something works, they would not create laws and theories based on the results of the RE effort. They would need something more to convert their theories into laws and theorems. While RE is a tool a scientist uses, by itself, it is not science.

And by the way....comparing me to DB is probably the biggest insult you could have given me as an Oracle professional. Smiley or no smiley...I never would have done that to you.

Sincerely,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net