Re: RAC and DataWarehouse

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 07:44:42 -0500

On 2006-06-23, Bob Jones <email_at_me.not> wrote:
>> Add 2 850 MHz procs and 2GB RAM quoted at $150K (add to 10 CPUs)
>>
>> Add dual 3.0 GHz server w/4GB RAM quoted at $24K (add a 2 CPU node)
>
> Congratulations! You have just scored an A+ in sales.

"Twernt no lie. It was salesmansip!"

        Adding a system board to a NUMA system is remarkably simpler than adding a server to a RAC cluster.

        With the NUMA option, you just slap in the new board and allocate those processors to whatever domain you want to add it to.

        With RAC: you have to build the machine. Install the OS. Configure the shared storage bus failover mechanism. Add accomodations to your shared storage bus. Reconfigure your shared storage to allow the new initiator. Install the Oracle level storage sharing mechanism (asm/ocfs), install the oracle clusterware on the new box, install oracle on the new box, reconfigure the oracle clusterware configuration to accomodate the new server, clone your instance configuration to the new server & then bring up the new server.

        ...then you need to make TNS client configuration changes.

--
      If you are going to judge Linux based on how easy
it is to get onto a Macintosh. Let's try installing          |||

                http://www.usenet.com