Re: HA & Failover options

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:19:25 -0500

On 2006-06-12, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
> debuzna_at_gmail.com wrote:
>
>> RAC and Data Guard may fit the bill. But like Orbitz and others have
>> found out, RAC (and disk mirroring solutions) do you no good when you
>> loose access to your disks or have corruption.
>
> I'm not jumping to Oracle's defense here but pointing to Orbitz as a RAC
> issue is far from the mark.
>
> Orbitz problem could have been solved by any competent DBA in 60 seconds
> or less. The corruption was not what brought Orbitz to its knees ... it
> was the company's own DBAs.
>
> With respect to losing disk access ... a properly configured system,
> with redundant paths to redundant storage arrays would render this a
> highly unlikely scenario unless the entire data center was destroyed.

        Redundant storage arrays huh?

        Suddenly, RAC isn't looking so cheap anymore.

        Although a pair of CX300s is still going to be less than the Oracle+RAC annual support bill for a tiny cluster.

        Sad but true.

--
NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club!                           |||
                                                                   / | \

                http://www.usenet.com