Re: Dev vs Prod: What is wrong here

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:50:23 -0700

meathammer wrote:
> I say this is just "wrong" but I can't exactly put up an argument how/why.
>
> Would you pls point out what is so wrong with this setup:
>
> Assuming the DB is identical...
> -----------------------------
> Prod env:
>
> 9iR2
> 2-node RAC
> HPUX
> Big tables partitioned
> --------------------------
> Test/Dev env:
>
> 9iR2
> Single-instance
> Windows
> no tables partitioned.

Aside from the obvious here is what you can not test:

  1. Scalability
  2. Performance
  3. Memory interconnect related issues
  4. Load Balancing
  5. Failover
  6. Stability
  7. Resource utilization
  8. Interprocessor Parallel Query

If management considers it sufficient that code will compile be sure to get it in writing that you will never be asked to do any of the above on evenings, weekends, or holidays.

On the other hand this could set you up for presenting a great paper at OpenWorld on things not to do. Maybe even get a book deal.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington