Re: Getting the best out of new server hardware: a disk setup for Oracle database

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:08:34 -0500

On 2006-06-14, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Mladen Gogala wrote:
>> Heikki Siltala wrote:
>>>
>>> + to get better performance: S.A.M.E should provide better performance
>>> than a failed attempt to distribute IO load evenly over the disks by
>>> manually relocating the datafiles
>>
>> Any volume manager can do load balancing today.
>
> True and not true. True they all do load balancing in some fashion.
>
> Not true that they can dynamically manage Oracle datafiles in a manner
> as useful and transparent as ASM.

        A storage solution is going to ultimately manage your datafiles at the block level. Anything that Oracle can do in this regard, any storage vendor can do just as well. More than likely, the storage vendor has been doing this a lot longer than Oracle has.

--
	vi isn't easy to use.				 |||
							/ | \

                http://www.usenet.com