Re: ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out errors for over a year now...

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:02:02 GMT

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:32:05 -0700, Scott wrote:

> Hi Cognos and Oracle gurus,
>
> First off, I'm a network guy. I don't speak cognos or oracle. Speak
> servers of any flavour on any switch and I'll understand all but sql
> stuff boggles my small brain.

Great! Welcome to this forum. I'll try to help you out. I have no clue about Cognos, though.

> Problem:
>
> For over a year our business analysts have been complaining of returned
> TNS errors. They are convinced it is a network issue. I have done
> everything from rebuilding the servers to tweaking the routers and
> switches. I am convinced that it is an application issue.

I tend to agree with you. It's probably Oracle*Net configuration.

> This is a typical error we receive on a daily basis.
>
> DS-DBMS-E306: UDA driver error connecting to 'CMIS'.
> [PROGRESS - 06:25:26] pid 2164 DimBuild Node 25
> 'D_INVENTORY_LOCATION'; reported the following:
> DS-DBMS-E402: UDA driver reported the following:
> DMS-E-GENERAL, A general exception has occurred during operation
> 'attach database'.
> ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out

Here is the error message for ORA-12535:

$ oerr ora 12535
12535, 00000, "TNS:operation timed out"

// *Cause: The requested operation could not be completed within the time out
// period.
// *Action: Look at the documentation on the secondary errors for possible
// remedy. See SQLNET.LOG to find secondary error if not provided explicitly.
// Turn on tracing to gather more information.
$

The follow-up questions are:
1) Do you have sqlnet.log file in the directory from which the application

   was started?
2) Was client trace enabled on the client? Oracle*Net has extensive

   tracing facilities which should be enabled in cases like yours. 3) With all due respect to the network guys, where is the DBA? The DBA

   would know how to enable trace on the client and server sides and    collect the necessary information.

--
http://www.mgogala.com