Re: tablespace without its .dbf file

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Jun 2006 17:41:05 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> harry.houghtaling_at_gmail.com wrote:
> > If you accidently delete a file and you need to drop the tablespace you
> > can always touch the file (unix/linux touch command) which will create
> > a empty file. After touching the file you can then take the tablespace
> > off-line and drop it.
> >
> > Harry
> >

> > Nanard wrote:
> >> I've found !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >>
> >> It was on a previous message from this group :
> >>
> >> alter system check datafiles;
> >> alter system set standby_file_management=manual;
> >> alter database create datafile '/u01/oradata/PV/TOTO_TBS.dbf' as
> >> '/u01/oradata/PV/TOTO_to_be_deleted.dbf' size 1M;
> >> alter system set standby_file_management=auto;
> >> alter database recover;
> >> shutdown immediate;
> >> startup pfile='....';
> >

> 1. Don't top post.
> 2. I would be more than a bit surprised if this worked. What is
> the origin of this advice?

I think it's bull. But see metalink Note:1060605.6 and Note:198640.1 for how to do something similar even in the O7 days.

>From Note:230449.1:

If you used the Unix "touch" command to create a new file for step 2 instead of
copying the file you will see these errors:
ORA-01115: IO error reading block from file ? (Block # ?)
ORA-01110: data file ?: '<filename>'
ORA-27091: skgfqio: unable to queue I/O
ORA-27069: skgfdisp: attempt to do I/O beyond the range of the file

Of course, maybe newer versions are smarter and some testing could confirm it either way.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/062006-telework-backlash.html