Re: SERVICE_CLASS parameter is SID_DISC in listener.ora

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Jun 2006 10:57:05 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> hypermodest_at_gmail.com wrote:
> > Vladimir M. Zakharychev wrote:
> >> Where did you see it being used in listener configuration? Which
> >> value did it have? Why do you want to know other possible values
> >> for it? Which Oracle version? Which platform? Do you experience
> >> any issues with this parameter being set or it's pure curiosity?
> >
> > I'm reverse engineer and I'm clearly see how Listener checks SID_DESC
> > branch for SERVICE_CLASS parameter. By the way, default value for it is
> > just "ORACLE". Checked versions: at least 8.0, 8.1.7, 9.2.*, 10.1.*,
> > 10.2.*. Platforms: at least windows/x86 linux.
> > I'm security researcher and one my another question is directly
> > connected with this parameter. That's why I'm looking for any info.
>
> I would strongly urge you to have your attorney read your Oracle
> license and explain it to you. Make sure you have sufficient funds
> to cover a retainer given what you just wrote.

As you may be aware, in some legislations reverse engineering is not prohibited under some circumstances and any explicit prohibition of RE in a license agreement is waived. Things change in this area following the pressure from software vendors, but some countries still allow RE regarless if it's prohibited in the license agreement. Speaking more generally, isn't the whole point of science to reverse-engineer the universe? Do gods and deities prohibit reverse-engineering their creations? :)

Regards,

    Vladimir M. Zakharychev
    N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)     http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Wed Jun 21 2006 - 12:57:05 CDT