Re: rman and grid control - best practices and pros/cons

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 20 Jun 2006 10:52:36 -0700

EdStevens wrote:
> I am trying to bring some order to our backup strategy, which has been
> somewhat haphazard. We have a mix of 9.2 and 10.2 databases, and have
> just completed getting Grid Control set up with a repository, and all
> nodes registered to it.
>
> Working from the assumption that it is preferable to keep the rman
> repository in a recovery catalog (as opposed to keeping it in the db
> control file) there is local discussion about whether or not the
> recovery catalog should be a separate db from the GC repository. Pros
> and cons to consider?

If backup is your main concern then I don't see a problem with keeping the same database for recovery catalog and grid control.

> Also, it strikes me as "not a good idea" (tm) to use the recovery
> catalog (whether the same or separate from the GC repository) as a
> recovery catalog for itself. I'd think that, rather than set up
> another recovery catalog for the 'main' recovery catalog, this would be
> one db where one would simplify by using its control file for its rman
> repository. Again, pros and cons?

Many people use export or now export datapump to backup a recovery catalog database. Getting a fresh export every day is not usually a problem for most shops.

I think you may be missing the forest because of the trees here. The big picture is whether your recovery catalog database is separate and in a different environment from the databases it is being used to record backups for. Received on Tue Jun 20 2006 - 12:52:36 CDT