Re: Oracle and Java 1.5

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 Jun 2006 10:31:54 -0700

Paul Foerster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ... Houston, we have a problem... ;-)
>
> I have to load Java byte code into an Oracle 10g database for execution. I
> created the usual "hello world" example in Java, compiled it into a .jar
> file and ran that from the command line. This worked fine. Trying to
> loadjava the compiled byte code into the database failed. This is with Java
> 1.5.
>
> Everything works fine with Java 1.4! This is what Oracle uses.
>
> But I need to be able to load Java 1.5 compiled byte code into the database.
> After all, this is not about "hello world". ;-)
>
> Can somebody please tell me whether this is possible at all, and if so, what
> I will have to do to the database to make it work with Java 1.5?
>
> I'm a DBA and no Java guru, so if you're referring to Java specific terms,
> please use plain English and not too much Java terminology. ;-) I'm even
> proud to have managed to create a good working .jar file. :-)))
>
> Sorry for the x-post but this is an urgend issue here, and I'm also not sure
> if I'm in the right group(s).
>
> Thanks very much in advance for helping.
> --
> cul8er
>
> Paul
> paul.foerster_at_gmx.net

Hi Paul,

Personally, I have never seen the benefit of using loadjava, *if* you have the following two things:

  1. the source code.
  2. You don't *need* functionality in another JVM like 1.5, such as the Lock object. Code compiled using 1.4 can be run under a 1.5 JVM, as shown below...

public class getVersion {
  public static void main(String args []) {     try {
      System.out.println(System.getProperty ("java.version"));     }
    catch (Exception err) {
      err.printStackTrace();
    }
  }
}

C:\SCRIPTS\java>java getVersion
1.5.0_06

C:\SCRIPTS\java>C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\jdk\bin\java getVersion 1.4.2_08

Can you post the exception being thrown?

HTH, Steve Received on Tue Jun 20 2006 - 12:31:54 CDT