Re: installation problem

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 06:25:20 GMT

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 23:14:16 -0700, Jack wrote:

> [root_at_localhost database]# ./runInstaller
> Starting Oracle Universal Installer...
>
> Checking installer requirements...
>
> Checking operating system version: must be redhat-3, SuSE-9, redhat-4,
> UnitedLinux-1.0, asianux-1 or asianux-2
> Passed
>

> All installer requirements met.
>
> Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from
> /tmp/OraInstall2006-06-18_02-03-16PM. Please wait ...
> The user is root. Oracle Universal Installer cannot continue
> installation if the user is root.
> : No such file or directory
>
> Thanks
> Jack

Ummmm ...

What part of 'cannot continue ... if the user is root' is confusing?

Since you don't bother to mention Oracle product or version, I'll assume Database 10gR2.

For people who don't like reading much, there is a Quick Installation Guide at http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/portal.portal_db?selected=1 ...

Following the steps, very early in the guide, we note that we need to create a user to own the software. After checking and implementing the prerequisites, we then use that userid to run the installer.

Consider that doc the same as a traditional Linux ReadMe. You DO read the ReadMe-s, don't you?

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!