Re: Oracle 10g ASM Reality Check

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 17 Jun 2006 12:47:01 -0700

Jonathan Lewis wrote:
> "Michael42" <melliott42_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all,
> >
> > If you have considered using ASM in a production environment and have
> > chosen not to what were your reasons?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Michael
> >

> Here's a blog item on the topic that has some interesting comments
>
> http://blog.oracloid.com/2006/05/vldb-with-asm/
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Jonathan Lewis
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#lewis

We currently use raw partitions for most of our databases, which are RAC. We see no reason to substitute ASM for raw partitions managed via our OS LVM at this time.

The author of the blog has noted a potentially serious side effect of the feature design.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sat Jun 17 2006 - 14:47:01 CDT