Re: install 9 & 10 on Windows?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:44:22 +0200

jkelley_at_uga.edu schreef:
> this has probably been discussed extensively somewhere, but I have
> searched various groups and Oracle docs with limited success.
> Apologies if this is the wrong group or the question has been answered
> elsewhere.
> I need to run 9i r2 for test purposes, same for 10g r2. This is not a
> production situation, so performance not a serious concern. OS on test
> box is Win XP SP 2. In searching, Oracle docs mention coexistance of 9
> and 10, but in unix/linux only, not Windows. Discussion groups suggest
> areas of concern: listener, home. One dba in a linux environment
> thought the registry would be a problem, but I do gather others have
> been successful. I am wondering about Windows services, possible port
> conflicts, management (OEM), etc (including the registry). I don't
> mind having to uninstall (altho the regedit session that is also
> necessary is a bit of a pain), but I'd like to have some ideas of how
> this has worked for others.
> Thanks for any help,
> -- Joe

Go ahead - the installer will make you use two ORACLE_HOME directories, thus separating one install from the other, registry and service naming wise.

Do not configure the network stack for your 9i installation, just for the 10, and make sure the 10g listener resolves 9i, too (the 9i instance will eventually register itself with the listener, so don't worry)

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...