A question of tracking application users

From: nirav <shivam71_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 Jun 2006 04:16:26 -0700

Hi Experts,

I have a very interesting issue on the above. The scenario is:

We have a web application with oracle as the data tier. All application users who log to the application use a common database account... (E.g. if the application has 60 users, (named m, n etc) when they connect to the database, at the database level the schema is only one (i.e. abc). So when user m connects then also the database user is abc and when n connects then also the database user is abc. (Ie. In the database the session is created with userid of "abc")

Now we want to implement auditing and we need to track which application user has made what change. i.e. if user m changes a table emp and adds a record then in an audit table a row should be added WHICH HAS THE USER M. similarly if N does it then the row for user N has to be there. But how do we track the application user because at the database level we do not have application user at all!

--
A few solutions that occur to me but need to work out their details
are: Is there a way like sys_context or Fine grain auditing for this?

Shall be very thankful for your inputs..

Nirav