Re: Invalid Objects when Upgrading

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:26:07 GMT

amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:
> Laurenz Albe wrote:

>> amerar_at_iwc.net <amerar_at_iwc.net> wrote:
>>> We just (finally) applied patch 4163445, which is the 9.2.0.7 upgrade.
>>> Upon completing the upgrade, a few SYS objects became invalid and do
>>> not compile:
>>>
>>> DBMS_METADATA_UTIL
>>> DBMS_METADATA
>>> DBMS_LOGMNR_SESSION
>>> DBMS_INTERNAL_LOGSTDBY
>>> DBMS_EXPORT_EXTENSION
>>>
>>> Just wondering if these are serious, or worth our attention to fix
>>> whatever the problems are......
>> You can recompile the packages from sqlplus and type 'show error' to
>> get the error messages. Maybe they help.
>>
>> Yours,
>> Laurenz Albe

> Did that on a few, check out these errors:
>
> OWNER NAME TYPE
> SEQUENCE LINE POSITION
> ------------------------------ ------------------------------
> ------------ ---------- ---------- ----------
> TEXT
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> SYS DBMS_INTERNAL_LOGSTDBY PACKAGE
> BODY 1 2663 40
> PLS-00302: component 'REPLACE_DICTIONARY_BEGIN' must be declared
>
> SYS DBMS_INTERNAL_LOGSTDBY PACKAGE
> BODY 2 2663 3
> PL/SQL: Statement ignored
>
> SYS DBMS_INTERNAL_LOGSTDBY PACKAGE
> BODY 3 2700 24
> PLS-00302: component 'REPLACE_DICTIONARY_END' must be declared
>

> I mean, what in the upgrade invalidated these objects?? These do not
> look like normal errors.........

When you perform an upgrade or apply patches or patchsets, changes may occur to packages, dictionary tables, etc. Any objects that depend on the object that was modified will become invalid. It needs to be recompiled. This is normal standard operating procedure. A major upgrade will often involve changes to the DBMS_STANDARD package which then invalidates just about every PL/SQL block stored in the database.

Sign on as SYS and run the utlrp.sql script to fix these.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net