oracle on sun solaris

From: hopehope_123 <hopehope_123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Jun 2006 03:33:20 -0700

Hi ,

We are about to move our current datawarehouse system from redhat linux to a sun solaris box. ( 6 dual core cpus, 2 hba , emc disk array , raid 10 , 24GB. RAM)

The db size is about 2tb.

Since this is a datawarehouse system , random sequential io is my main concern , we also use parallel query heavily.

I have some questions on my mind:

  1. What file system to choose? UFS , Veritas or raw device?
  2. If i choose ufs or veritas , should i use direct_io or not? Since parallel query bypasses the sga , and directIO bypasses the page cache , using buffered io is better .
  3. How can i coose the strip size of the raid?
  4. In order to maximize the sequential io performance , i am thinking of setting db_file_multiblock_read_count to 1MB. ( Which provides 1MB. read on each disk read) , along with the unix kernel parameters maxcontig (for ufs) etc. How can i balance this number with the strip size? Is 1MB. maximum?

I will be appreciated if you can comment , advise.

Kind Regards,
hope Received on Wed Jun 14 2006 - 05:33:20 CDT