Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: segmentation fault when running /home/oracle/product/CRS/root.sh for CRS on Linux (RAC install with iSCSI and raw devices)

From: oracleracnoob <ejohnson_at_itegranet.com>
Date: 13 Jun 2006 15:21:18 -0700

hpuxrac wrote:

> Did you follow the oracle installation and configuration guide?
>
> Have you configured the linux kernel? ( Set various parameters to
> support shared memory, etc ).

I just figured it out! (To answer your questions, yes, I followed the guide and did not short-cut anything, including the linux kernel params).

The problem was this -- when I created the raw devices for OCR and Voting Disk over iscsi I did not "zero out" the raw devices. All the docs I ever find mentioning iscsi with RAC are using NetApp or similar filer solutions so this step wasn't mentioned anywhere. A collegue of mine mentioned zeroing out before using raw devices for another unrelated project.

After mounting the iscsi LUNs and creating the rawdevices (/etc/sysconfig/rawdevices) it was necessary in this application of iscsi/raw devices to zero them out by running this command:

[root_at_racsrv1-sc ~]# for i in /dev/raw/*; do dd if=/dev/zero of=$i bs=1M; done
dd: writing `/dev/raw/raw1': No space left on device 150+0 records in
149+0 records out
dd: writing `/dev/raw/raw2': No space left on device 22+0 records in
21+0 records out

The cluster is up!

Thanks to those who took a look and responded.

Regards,

Erik Johnson Received on Tue Jun 13 2006 - 17:21:18 CDT