Re: Getting the best out of new server hardware: a disk setup for Oracle database

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:56:53 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:

> There are many solid reasons for ASM even without RAC.

I don't see any. ASM is a volume manager which makes sense if it is compared with other clustering products. If no clustering is needed, I would compare it with any other volume manager. I like the possibility of using "cp" and "dd" commands, if I decide that is the best option. Other volume managers make it possible for me to do so. Oracle doesn't. Also, a 3rd party volume manager makes it easier for me to re-organize my data and devices. ASM is very new product, introduced in 10G and will become, just as was the case with CBO, usable two versions later. CBO was introduced in Oracle7, pretty much useless in Oracle 8i and is usable in 10G. That means that I recommend waiting until Oracle 12 (aka "the dirty dozen") with the full implementation of ASM.
As a person in charge of several large databases, I already vetoed using ASM in the company that I work for. We're not running RAC, no need for such risky toy. VxVM shipped with Solaris is perfectly good for me.

> Bugs? Could you be more specific? Version and description.

There are 10G release notes, for all versions and platforms. Knock yourself out.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com