Re: Migrating from Oracle to Derby

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:17:49 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:
> Chuck wrote:

>> DA Morgan wrote:
>>
>>> Oracle is commercially viable so I wouldn't hold my breath. Informix
>>> on-the-other-hand is dying of neglect and DB2 will be the next to dry
>>> up and blow away (excluding AS400 and mainframe).
>>
>> Not unless Oracle lowers their licensing cost it won't. That's the main
>> thing keeping DB2 around. A company I used to work for switched to DB2
>> because it would cost them $1m to license oracle for all their projects
>> and licensing DB2 on the same hardware for the same # of users was about
>> $150k.

> A few thoughts.
>
> 1. PeopleSoft
> 2. JD Edwards
> 3. Siebel
> 4. Pool of potential employees in 5-7 years
>
> DB2 is today where COBOL was when I walked (well really ran) away. The
> handwriting is on the wall for IBM. You might note too that HP just
> passed IBM in computer sales.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the licensing cost of the RDBMS. DB2 is more than capable for mission critical databases. It may be lagging several years behind Oracle in technology, but as long as Oracle is charging as much as it does, it's keeping DB2 alive. Received on Tue Jun 13 2006 - 12:17:49 CDT