Connecting to a remote db which has no domain name, but local db has global_names=true

From: Rob Cowell <rjc4687_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Jun 2006 10:10:31 -0700

I can't find anywhere that shows this is possible, but I'll ask just incase someone has a whizzy workaround.

I have a 9.2.0.6 database with global_names=true, because we use streams and multimaster replication, and they seem to like that.

I want to connect to a remote 9.2.0.6 database which has no domain name.

When I create a dblink with the full db name of the remote db it gets the domain name from my db appended to it.

All the "solutions" I can find for this involve either setting global_names=false, which I could do at a session level for the queries that use this dblink, probably via a logon trigger cos the app logs on all over the place.

Or I could get a domain name on the remote db. But that's owned by another company and they're doing us a favour letting us connect and its a pain getting any changes on their db.

But is it possible to create a dblink without turning off global_names that will connect to a remote db without a domain_name ?

Thanks Received on Mon Jun 12 2006 - 12:10:31 CDT