Re: Migrating from Oracle to Derby

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:13:24 -0700

Serge Rielau wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> Same reason CA released Ingres as open source. It is a product in a
>> death spiral.

> Your insider knowledge, as always, is impressive.
> Meanwhile Derby is a component of over 70 IBM products and it is being
> adopted by Sun:
> http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2005-12/sunflash.20051213.1.xml
> If you have Websphere App Server somewhere in your company, chances are
> you're running Derby.
>
> Cheers
> Serge

Nobody gives away for free what they can sell for money. Not even the benevolent Big Blue.

But if you know something else ... by all means feel free to enlighten us. When can we expect the UNIX kernels for DB2 and Informix to be released with a GPL license?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington