Re: active / active servers with databases - pros and cons

From: Gerry Sinkiewicz <sinkiege_at_snet.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:33:50 GMT

"Thiko!" <biwombi_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1149868454.920209.248130_at_f6g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> hi
>
> BACKGROUND
> ==========
> I have a production environment for a service running oracle on a sun
> server and this has a backup server in standby mode using oracle 10g
> dataguad. This standby server can also be used for read only reporting
> at the same time.
>
> MOVING FORWARD
> ==============
> I have a development, test and training environment consisting of
> separate database instances on a separate machine.
>
> I'm trying to work out the pro's and con's of having the production /
> standby environment in an active/active set up and moving the
> dev/test/training database onto the standby server as well. At failover
> time the dev/test/training environment would failover onto the old
> primary.
>
> PROS
> ====
> 1. cost - less servers to manage and buy / have support for
> 2. more manageable - one server to manage
>
> CONS
> ====
> 1. possibility of developers accidentally connecting to the production
> environment
> 2. cant tune the production environment 100% for the live app as server
> will have to be tuned for the other dev/test/training instances as well
> e.g. with memory allocation etc.
> 3. at failover time old primary server may be unavailable for
> dev/test/training to failover onto - production performance could be
> affected with the dev/test/training use. developers experience
> performance probs, cant do what they want to then ask why
> dev/test/training doesn't have its own environment/server.
>
> Question
> ========
> Does anyone have any experience of this and can they recommend some
> pro's and con's?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Thiko!

Recommendation: Keep dev/test separated from production. Another con:
Need to apply patches/upgrades to dev/test instances and possibly that requires that a certain patch to the OS be applied (remember Oracle 9i/10g installer issues with Solaris 8).
You would then need to reboot your production box for a dev upgrade. Not good. Received on Mon Jun 12 2006 - 07:33:50 CDT