Re: how to set thread number on "alert file"

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 10 Jun 2006 06:52:15 -0700

aman.oracle.dba wrote:
> In my company Senior DBAs has one script through which he comes to
> know, when to check alert file. What I understand that it is shell
> script through which he determines the size of alert file and more
> information about that. But how I don't understand. As I am working as
> Junior Oracle DBA, I don't have privs to see the coding. If anyone else
> is using this kind of script then pls.............. tell me what is
> there in that script.

If the shop where you work does not allow you to see these scripts then why do you want access? What valid business need exists that you need to ask how to write such scripts and cannot just ask the senior DBA's to see the scripts in use?

You can monitor file size via OS commands. There are dozens of alternates depending on exactly what the author wanted to know/monitor.  For one in a UNIX/Linux environment you should be able to tail the alert log and feed the output to a grep on ORA-00600 or other tags and if found send an email about the error. You could use wc to just count the number of lines. You could use du to get the size on blocks. Dozens of choices.

You can create an external table that references the alert log and use if to read the alert log(s).

Figuring out what you want to look for and keep track of is a site specific task. There is no way for anyone outside your shop to know what your shop scripts are looking at.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sat Jun 10 2006 - 08:52:15 CDT