Re: 8i exports used in newer versions?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 9 Jun 2006 15:47:01 -0700

Rob Williamson wrote:
> Can 8i exports be used to resurect a database in newer versions of
> Oracle ( 9i 10i ...)?

Yes. See
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/exp_imp.htm#sthref2853

> We do not want the ability to have a perfect database but for
> Legal Audit reasons we want to be able to at least say we can get the
> old data
> ( transactions and sales information ) without getting into trouble.

Exports are not to be relied on as a sole backup method, but they are reasonably solid for getting old data. Most of the time. There are exp/imp bugs, even in very late 8i versions - some were actually added towards the end. IIRC, one was found by a bank, data was lost when some identical data was exported sequentially.

> If so do we need the table creation scripts or does the import create
> the tables for us.

You might well be advised to have your own table creation scripts and use the IGNORE=Y option on import, but if you don't, the import will create them for you. Unfortunately, there are situations where it might create the tables or indices in the system tablespace if you are not experienced and careful. Always test new procedures.

> Again we are only interested in the data inside the tables not the whole
> functional database.
>
> I assume that the file backups are useless unless we actually have a
> running Oracle 8i DB?

Good assumption. The purpose of backups is recovery, often meaning transactional recovery. You might consider having a recovery procedure that includes everything - this is also useful for rapid disaster recovery, which is how many places justify the expense of being sure it works - the general idea is, you have a tape or set of disks, be able to get hardware and go. You might want to be familiar with how and when Oracle ends support and availability, in some cases they will only support old versions if you've kept up support. Details can be found on metalink.

There's something to be said for putting all data out in flat ASCII files, too. Or at least, there used to be.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060609/news_1mi9hank.html