Waiting for smon to disable tx recovery. 9i on unix.

From: <dba_222_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Jun 2006 14:56:30 -0700

Dear experts,

I have some strange symptoms these past two days on our 9i database on unix.

Yesterday, I went to do an update of a large table. About 7 million rows. It continued overnight. I killed the session in the morning.

Previously, when I killed a session like that, I would watch it rollback in V$transaction. However, this time, there was no transaction to be seen. When I went to count the table, it took 15 minutes, when it typically takes 15 seconds. I killed that session too.

Later, I saw the same query in active processes. But the sessions were not in v$session. I killed the ghost sessions too.

Finally, I decided to bounce the database, and did a shutdown immediate.
It hung. I logged into another session with sys, and again tried a shutdown immediate. I got:

ORA-24324: service handle not initialized
ORA-24323: value not allowed
ORA-01089: immediate shutdown in progress - no operations are permitted

I'll include the alert log, and the latest trace files.

Trace repeatedly shows:
Waiting for smon to disable tx recovery.

The alert log repeatedly shows:
Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 6501

It has been doing this for over 6 hours now.

top
- shows the dbw0, and smon working about 1 to 1.5% of the cpu.

File timestamps:
- The control files, and some datafiles (including undo) are continuously
updated with the current timestamp. One redo log, the same as in the alert log, has the current timestamp. The other redo logs have older timestamp.

It all seems to be recovering. But when will it end?

I've seen before, when I've done an abort on something similar, that you still have to wait for the whole process to recover. So, you don't really gain anything in that case by aborting.

Has anyone seen anything like this?
What do you think is the best course of action?

Just let it run, and it will finally shutdown? Kill the SMON process?
Shutdown abort from another session?
Something else?

Thanks a lot!

Alert log:

Fri Jun 9 10:52:27 2006
Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 6488
  Current log# 1 seq# 6488 mem# 0:
/u01/oracle/OraHome1/oradata/the_db/redo01.log
Fri Jun 9 11:52:10 2006
SMON: Restarting fast_start parallel rollback Fri Jun 9 11:54:03 2006
SMON: ignoring slave err,downgrading to serial rollback

Fri Jun 9 12:10:13 2006
Shutting down instance: further logons disabled Fri Jun 9 12:14:21 2006
Shutting down instance (immediate)
License high water mark = 22
Waiting for dispatcher 'D000' to shutdown All dispatchers and shared servers shutdown Fri Jun 9 12:14:23 2006
ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL
Fri Jun 9 12:14:58 2006
Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 6489
  Current log# 2 seq# 6489 mem# 0:
/u01/oracle/OraHome1/oradata/the_db/redo02.log
Fri Jun 9 12:19:36 2006
Waiting for smon to disable tx recovery. Fri Jun 9 12:37:05 2006
Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 6490
  Current log# 3 seq# 6490 mem# 0:
/u01/oracle/OraHome1/oradata/the_db/redo03.log
Fri Jun 9 12:57:36 2006
Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 6491
  Current log# 1 seq# 6491 mem# 0:
/u01/oracle/OraHome1/oradata/the_db/redo01.log

Fri Jun 9 16:35:56 2006
Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 6501
  Current log# 2 seq# 6501 mem# 0:
/u01/oracle/OraHome1/oradata/the_db/redo02.log
Fri Jun 9 16:56:26 2006
Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 6502
  Current log# 3 seq# 6502 mem# 0:
/u01/oracle/OraHome1/oradata/the_db/redo03.log
Fri Jun 9 17:16:09 2006
Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 6503
  Current log# 1 seq# 6503 mem# 0:
/u01/oracle/OraHome1/oradata/the_db/redo01.log

Trace file:

/u01/oracle/OraHome1/admin/the_db/udump/the_db_ora_26493.trc
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.3.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options JServer Release 9.2.0.3.0 - Production
ORACLE_HOME = /u01/oracle/OraHome1
System name: SunOS

Node name:      the_unix_server
Release:        5.8
Version:        Generic_108528-29
Machine:        sun4u

Instance name: the_db
Redo thread mounted by this instance: 1
Oracle process number: 14
Unix process pid: 26493, image: oracle_at_the_unix_server (TNS V1-V3)