Re: OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ & OPTIMIZER_INDEX_CACHING

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 21:47:49 +0200

"nirav" <shivam71_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1149862057.387997.169770_at_c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have both of these parameters . set at their default values in my db.
> (100 & 0 respectively.) That however might not be the correct setting ,
> so could you please guide on how to decide the correct setting for
> these parameters for the database(version 9.2.0.6)?

Do you have any performance problems right now or any other problems that make you think you should change the values of these parameters ? If not, I would suggest leaving them to their default values. If you do have problems with specific queries (for example queries that take ages because of a full table scan, while forcing the use of an index is much faster), then you could first try to change anything session-wide with "alter session set ... = ..., and see if this helps. A server-wide change (init.ora or spfile) may have a large impact since some queries could go faster while others could go slower. So you really should try to test and benchmark this well.

HTH
Matthias Received on Fri Jun 09 2006 - 14:47:49 CDT