Re: Starting ASM diskgroup with one failgroup missing a disk

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 11:00:00 -0700

"jasper" <pharaoh_at_nospammail.net> wrote in message news:1149874675.664570.16170_at_c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

> Andreas Sheriff schrieb:
>
>> Here's what should happen. ASM is supposed to realize that, "Hey! One
>> of
>> my disks are missing! But I still have the same data on another disk...
>> Let me mount and rebalance so that redundancy returns to normal."
>
> this is exactly what my ASM-installation does. it mounts the diskgroup
> and recreates the AUs from the failed disk on the remaining disks.
> after that i can drop the disk.
>

> -j

Not mine. I have 10.2.0.2.0. ASM started to mount but then dismounted saying ejecting disk "" would result in a loss of data. My guess is that it was rebalancing when the DB was stopped. "What happened was" (isn't this how it all starts?) that an ASM disk was mistakenly configured on a hardware mirrored device. The DB / ASM had been shutdown abort at the time. The sysadmin broke the mirror and consequently broke the ASM disk. When I tried to start ASM back up so that it can recover, that's when it complained about the missing disk. Hindsight, I should have removed the offending disk first and let ASM rebalance, then shutdown normal, but the sysadmin beat me to it. ASM did say that it was a provisioned disk, but the header was inconsistent with what it expected... Weird data corruption.

Ah well...
ASM is fairly new and we're still working out the bugs.

--
Andreas
Oracle 9i Certified Professional

"If you don't eat your meat, you cannot have any pudding.
"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!?!"
---

WARNING:
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL
Reply to me only on this newsgroup