Re: Query occasionally returning empty results in 8i

From: BoukeB <bbruinsma_at_ortec.nl>
Date: 9 Jun 2006 01:00:01 -0700

Joel, thanks for your answers.

> Are you using sqlplus or something else? If you are using jdbc, see
> bug 1841512.

It actually is Delphi 5.0 communicating through BDE with an ORACLE database.

> Do you mean adding a comma then a blank to a select clause, or what?
> This all sounds familiar somehow, but I can't put my finger on it...
"SELECT USERNAME FROM USERS;" vs "SELECT USERNAME FROM USERS;" Sorry for the confusion, it is an extra blank between SELECT and the column names.

>> open_cursors = 500 open_cursors = 100000
> Whoa, where'd you come up with _that_?
Puzzled me as well. The databases we're looking at are in someone else's control.

> > optimizer_mode = CHOOSE
> If any table has statistics, the CBO will be used. Otherwise, RBO will
> be used. Have you checked the statistics?
I thougth this optimizer mode was the default. So omitting it should not induce different behaviour.

> See what explain plan has to say, while you are at it. Try using a PL
> exception handler. As someone else suggested, a trace will likely say
> exactly what the problem is.

Thanks, will do. We are waiting for the moment that the problem occurs. The problem will occur for a period of time (hours) and disappear again. We will trace the query and check the execution path. Received on Fri Jun 09 2006 - 03:00:01 CDT