Starting ASM diskgroup with one failgroup missing a disk

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 16:33:08 -0700

Here's another interesting question about ASM.

RHEL4
10.2.0.2
64 bit intel
8 gigs mem
Ya da ya da ya da.

How does one mount an ASM diskgroup with two failgroups, normal redundancy, and one of the failgroups has a disk missing when ASM starts up?

To my knowledge, you can't do anything with a diskgroup unless it's mounted, and you can't mount a diskgroup if a disk is missing in one of the failgroups.

Here's what should happen. ASM is supposed to realize that, "Hey! One of my disks are missing! But I still have the same data on another disk... Let me mount and rebalance so that redundancy returns to normal." But it doesn't do that, does it? It's as obstinate as an old dba. Not to say that all old dba's are obstinate, just some. A small few in fact. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever met an obstinate dba...

Thanks,

--
Andreas
Oracle 9i Certified Professional

"If you don't eat your meat, you cannot have any pudding.
"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!?!"
--- WARNING: DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL Reply to me only on this newsgroup