Re: Backup during no activity

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 20:48:57 GMT

astalavista wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why I can't backup my (small) database
> with a copy of all files (spfile, datafile, control, online redolog)
> when there is no activity on the database ?
> Any of these files are modified when there no activity ?
> ( something like a heartbeat ?)
>
> Thanks for your lights ....

You could have I/O, even if you do not have any user sessions in the database. For instance, SMON may clean up temporary segments and update the Data Dictionary, which modifies the datafile in the SYSTEM tablespace.

If you are using Oracle 10g, then there is regular collection and storage in SYSAUX of various database statistics and metrics.

Either shutdown the db and take a cold backup, or use a "good" hot backup methodology which can overcome the issues of a datafile changing while being backed up.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net