Re: Renaming column of CLOBs

From: Bruce C. Miller <bm3719_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 Jun 2006 12:11:04 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On 8 Jun 2006 10:27:43 -0700, "Bruce C. Miller" <bm3719_at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have a table with a column of CLOBs that I want to rename. I can
> >create the new column of CLOB type, but doing an UPDATE and SET on the
> >new and old columns doesn't copy the data over properly. I guess I need
> >to use the DBMS_LOB.COPY function, but I am not sure how to use this on
> >a full column of data.
> >
> >Seems like a simple problem, but I haven't been able to find the answer
> >online yet.
>

> Why do you want to rename columns and does a view on top of the
> affected table not suffice?

Not in this case, no. The reason I want to rename the column is because there are new columns being added to the table and the old columnname in question is no longer specific enough to accurately describe its contents. It's not a big deal, but I'd like to keep things as nice and neat as possible. Received on Thu Jun 08 2006 - 14:11:04 CDT