Re: How to LOCK TABLE/READ ONLY table in own schema after data insertion

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2006 15:37:50 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On 7 Jun 2006 05:35:30 -0700, "Jagjeet Singh"
> <jagjeet.malhi_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >This can be done using policies also.
>
> Evidently that is complete overkill.

I think it would be much simpler being able to turn the policy on and off with a call than recreating DDL periodically. But I'd be worried about people sneaking in when the policy is off. I guess that depends on the actual reqs and ops. Both solutions could have their place. For my old-fashioned similar situation, I just extract info into tables for each user on demand, rather than letting them see the original data (which is spread amongst lots of irrelevant data, and needs massaging).  For the particular usage patterns, this works out much less stressful on the db.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Little by little the night turns around