Re: QUESTION - "Rulebook" for character delimiting...??

From: <erik.ykema_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2006 12:08:39 -0700

BD schreef:
> But I was trying to include some selected data between the
> double-quotes, so I tried something like:
> Select 'sql "select ' || value1 || ' ' || value2 from v\$whatever"'.
>
> it complained that I had an improperly double-quoted string. Which I
> did.
>
> So I had to isolate the double-quotes on their own, as in
Hi,
I believe sed and awk are not needed for your requirement, though I recommend learning them anyhow! It is an incredibly valuable skill in your toolbox.

Try this (in ksh this works):
$ cat << _EOSQL_
> select * from "$HOME"
> _EOSQL_

select * from "/home/erik"

The << tells cat to just dump to stdout untill the special token _EOSQL_ is met. In there all variables will be substituted with their value, \$ prints $.
Good luck,
Erik Ykema Received on Wed Jun 07 2006 - 14:08:39 CDT