Re: RMAN performance when using UNC paths

From: Jerome Vitalis <vitalismanREMOVETHAT_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 17:28:17 +0200

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:11:47 +0000, Brian Peasland wrote:

>>                          -> Bkp deletion from DB svr

> Why delete the backup from the database server?

Because I assumed that the new disk capacity will not be Terabytes...

> As Sybrand said, RMAN
> will expect the backup sets to be in the original location unless you
> use the new 10g command to CATALOG the backup piece in a new location.

I am well aware of that, I often deal with RMAN.

> And should you need to do a restore, you'd have to pull the backup off
> of tape, transfer it to the database server, and then start your restore
> process. I'd prefer to leave the backup on the db server so that it is
> ready when you need it.

You're right, with enough disk space, this is the way to go.

> Your next backup can overwrite this one if you
> so desire.

Not so easily. The backup piece format prevents such "direct" overwrites.

> HTH,
> Brian

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Jerome Received on Wed Jun 07 2006 - 10:28:17 CDT