Re: Bizarre index creation - something wrong?

From: Paulie <plinehan_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2006 03:37:47 -0700

> No version and the behavior is version dependent. No idea why people
> always think we know their version of Oracle, and keep track of it.

My apologies - an oversight on my part due partly to the fact that I normally use a newsreader that includes version info in the .sig - the change of environment slipped my mind.

Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.4.0.1 - Production PL/SQL Release 2.3.4.0.0 - Production

(and no, I can't change this).

> Should we stop responding completely to posts without platform and
> version?

There are some universal truths grasshopper! I do agree with you though, version info and platform and hardware are good to know - I'll see can I set up a sig with google.

> Anyway, it is evidently documented, that Oracle doesn't create an
> index to validate a primary key when there is already a correct index
> present.
> In other words: revert the two commands and you will get an error.
> (such column list already indexed)

Why issue two commands in the first place - why not just create the primary key on the two fields and not bother with the unique index?

Paul...