Re: Finding out sys password

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 05:54:24 GMT

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 13:37:23 -0700, bdbafh wrote:

> Are you using Grid Control with the capability of starting up database
> instances remotely?
>
> Any of these types of activities (could (+)) require the use of a
> password file.
> I feel like I'm reciting docs here.

You have two password files, /etc/passwd and $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapw$ORACLE_SID, which is extremely insecure. Therefore, it's best to make /etc/passwd a link to $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapw$ORACLE_SID. That will also make apparent the value of tahiti.oracle.com. It's a shame that on the day like this (666) I have to be the bdbafh.

--
http://www.mgogala.com