Re: Finding out sys password

From: <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 6 Jun 2006 13:37:23 -0700

BS wrote:
> Thanks for the info and all the help!! Sorry about not mentioning the
> OS. Yes it is Unix. So my next question is, Which is the more safer
> way? using the password file or no?

Are you using DataGuard?
That would require that you have a password file in use, as the multiple database instances need to authenticate in order to exchange information regarding archived redo log availability and transport status.

Are you running RMAN jobs via OEM?

Are you using Grid Control with the capability of starting up database instances remotely?

Any of these types of activities (could (+)) require the use of a password file.
I feel like I'm reciting docs here.

Safer is where the server is not connected to a network and no one accesses it.

If no remote process connects as sysdba or sysoper, its use is not required.

-bdbafh Received on Tue Jun 06 2006 - 15:37:23 CDT