Re: Finding out sys password

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 6 Jun 2006 08:52:41 -0700

gazzag wrote:
> BS wrote:
> > Hi group,
> >
> > Is there a way to find out the password for the sys account in oracle?
> > The old DBA left and did not provided this password to anyone. What is
> > the default password that I can try? This is on 8.1.7 version of
> > oracle.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> You cannot find out the existing password, but you can change it if you
> can log into the database server using an account with DBA privileges
> as follows:
>
> 1. Log in to the server with the DBA account, probably Oracle.
>
> 2. Set your ORACLE_SID environment variable accordingly.
>
> 3. At the command prompt type "sqlplus /nolog"
>
> 4. At the SQL prompt, type "connect / as sysdba". All being well, you
> will see "Connected."
>
> 5. To set the SYS password to something known or, more importantly,
> something that your previous DBA does *not* know, type: "alter user sys
> identified by <your_new_password_here>;
>
> The default SYS password is "change_in_install", incidentally. You'd
> be surprised how many people don't...
>
> Operating System details would allow a more detailed reply.
>
> HTH
>
> -g

As an addition check in your init.ora file and see if remote_login_passwordfile is set to exclusive; if so, you'll also need to run the orapwd utility from the operating system command prompt:

  where
    file - name of password file (mand),     password - password for SYS (mand), <<< note SYS password     entries - maximum number of distinct DBA and OPERs (opt),   There are no spaces around the equal-to (=) character.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Jun 06 2006 - 10:52:41 CDT