Re: Peter Chen's ER Diagramming - outdated for db design?

From: <dananrg_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Jun 2006 16:49:32 -0700

> I don't think ERD diagrams are outdated BUT if you are working on OO
> systems the programmers will want to talk Class Diagrams etc and don't
> care too much about the entity relationships outside of the class
> interactions.

> I think not caring about entity relationships is a mistake. I also
> think not thinking about the classes that will use the data is a
> mistake too. ER diagrams and Class diagrams are both important tools
>for different purposes.
> (I hope the fence I'm sitting on doesn't collapse too soon)

Ha! :-) Thanks Doc.

Is it possible to simulate an ER Digram using UML? There's an open source Visio clone named Dia, which has an add-on that will forward engineer a db design into DDL statements for a variety of databases - Oracle, Postgres, etc. Seems the method is to use UML diagrams as a proxy for ERs - substituting an Entity for a Class name. Looks a little strange.

Dana Received on Mon Jun 05 2006 - 18:49:32 CDT