Re: Connect time one more Architecture Problem

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 17:38:54 GMT

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 09:30:18 -0700, peter wrote:

> Respected DBAs,
>
> I asked that before and I am asking this again that if user( any user
> whether on client or server ) is taking more time to connect to
> database on my network nearly 10 min., where my network is working
> fine, there is some problem in architecture of Oracle 9i.What should a
> DBA can do in this situation.Pls help..................................

Assuming Linux, look at the results from 'top' to determine how heavily you have swung into swapping.

(I have seen customers to put 11 instances on a machine with 512M memory and wonder why things are unreasonaly slow. Wasn't the database - it was the server gone so heavily into swapping that any memory operation became disk-speed. Of course, this was Oracle's fault ...)

Under normal circumstances this connect performance is ludicrous. It implies an overloaded or misconfigured server.

I would start by eliminating the obvious - what is the server load?
- what is the listener doing? (set appropriate log level - see manuals)

--
/Hans ... mailto: Fuzzy_dot_GreyBreard_at_gmail_dot_com
Top posting in newsgroups is a sure way to stop my replies!

I reserve the right to change my mind on anything.  Especially when
confronted with facts that are better than the ones I use right now.