Re: Can't find spfile

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 01:10:36 GMT

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 16:01:23 -0700, pfa wrote:

> All I wanted to do was modify the init.ora/spfile to set a trace file
> (for ORACLE_TRACE_ENABLE) to track down a ORA-03113 error in an OCI
> app. However, I've just realised unless I can guess the oracle password
> I'm screwed :-(

What would you do with ORACLE_TRACE_ENABLED? ORA-03113 means that the server process has given up on the life in this valley of tears and that the real error, usually ORA-07445 or ORA-0600 is in the alert log. You can find the alert log by looking into parameter background_dump_dest. That is the reason why DBA people like me carry firearms: anybody who attempts to change instance parameters without approval from the resident DBA will be shot on the spot. You would add overhead, clog filesystem, slow everything down, without resolving the problem. Before changing instance parameters, you gotta ask yourself one question: do I feel lucky? Well, do you?

--
http://www.mgogala.com